The Best Time to Write is Now... The Best Place to Write is Here... The Best Person to Write is You...

2015/01/09

Five Question Friday -- Ryan Sagert (2015-01-09)

Ryan Sagert is a spoken word artist from Lorain, Ohio who has been writing poetry since the age of 15.

After impulsively attending an open mic at Jim's Coffeehouse at the age of 20, Sagert entered the realm of live poetry performance and the rest is history.

Ryan Sagert's first chapbook Doppelganger was published by Loco Neal Press in October 2014, followed by an extensive spoken word tour to promote its release.

So where did Doppleganger come from? What inspired it?

Doppelganger is the result of many years of journaling and writing poems that were eventually arranged into a collection and published into a chapbook.

The basic premise of Doppelganger is that everything is a balance between light and darkness and that one cannot exist without the other.

I think the idea came from seeing good people do bad things and supposedly terrible people doing some very humane things.
The thing is people are multi dimensional and not assigned stereotypical "Hero" and "villain" roles like in the movies.


What kind of emotions came from the writing of Doppelganger?
I wrote Doppelganger at a time when I was coming to terms with my own potential so I think Doppelganger brings to light a whole spectrum of emotions just like real life.
There are dark horror poems about mental illness as well as seductive love poems. It's a mixed bag really, and it goes to show how many different stories are in us as human beings.

Who are some of your inspirations creatively?
My long time creative inspirations are Kevin Matisyn of Parabelle and Justin Furstenfeld of Blue October, even though I have been inspired a lot by the new Lana Del Ray album "Ultraviolence."
I am also a big Ellie Goulding fan.
I love the sexy stuff, because quite frankly life is too short not to make love all the time.


Do you have any projects on the horizon that you are excited about?
I am going into the studio at Heart Riot Records early in the new year to record my first spoken word album which features selections from my first two books.
I hope to expand my spoken word show to include a band to back me up and do a whole lot more to make my spoken word show an unforgettable experience.

Where can we see you performing next?
I am currently in the works to arrange two book signings in north eastern Ohio in the new year as well as many performances at venues such as the foundry in Lakewood, Ohio and hopefully just keep getting bigger until I am being booked for all sorts of major performances.

Again, I want to make this get big and the skies the limit at this point in time!

Hopefully you will purchase Doppelganger and check me out during my 2015 spoken word tour in venues in Cleveland and beyond! 

Some great words from Ryan Sagert. Don't forget to get a copy of Doppelganger.

We'll see you next week!
Azriel

~*~

Writers/Artists: Are you interested in being interviewed? Send an email to writingknights(at)live.com with the Subject line: "Writing Knights Interview"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Check Out Our T-Shirt Provider