The Best Time to Write is Now... The Best Place to Write is Here... The Best Person to Write is You...

2016/03/30

Movie Review: Batman vs Superman: Dawn of Justice

I will do my best to reveal no spoilers, but just be warned, some spoilers may need to be made before this article is through.  I haven't written a movie review in a while, but perhaps this will get me on the road to writing them more often.

I was expecting more from this movie.

I'm not saying it wasn't beautifully shot. Zack Snyder has produced visual masterpieces, like Watchmen and 300 and they were the movie equivalent to supermodels. The fights were well choreographed and had a fair amount of necessary destruction (I gotta say, if I lived in Metropolis, I would bloody move though).  I didn't have a problem at all with the way the movie looked.

Affleck killed it, both in acting and other ways and I didn't have a problem with that.

Cavill was fine as Superman. Everyone likes to complain about Superman being unemotional or unexpressive.  Try walking around a world where if you touch something too hard it'll snap ALL THE TIME and see if you don't walk and act more carefully.

Eisenberg was not bad as Luthor. Better than Hackman, not as good as Rosenbaum or Spacey.  I have a feeling if they bring him back for MoS2 he'll be more sinister.

Gadot was brilliant it as Wonder Woman. Wished she would have had more screen time.

In the end, I wasn't blown away by the movie. Batman's story was thorough enough to warrant his addition. I'm glad they didn't overdo it with the origin of his crime fighting. The nod to certain characters was pretty cool too.

The fights were fine. I wasn't on the edge of my seat for any of it. Mostly because I've seen "Superman: Doomsday" and read "Death of Superman" and "Dark Knight Returns". I knew what was going to happen the entire time which is probably why I didn't enjoy this movie as much as I wanted to.

If you're a fan see the movie, but see it on discount day.

Rating: C+


Azriel Johnson is an inkspatter analyst and a serial writer by night. He runs a small, not money losing publishing press and a weekly open mic with monthly features called Writing Knights Press.

No comments:

Post a Comment